Sunday, April 14, 2013

Journal- Superman

                I really enjoyed watching this video, Waiting for Superman, probably my favorite video we watched his semester.  It opened my eyes to how lucky I was to go to a school in Clay County, obviously the schools in Clay County aren’t the absolute best schools but they are better than most and definitely beat Duval County schools.  I knew about lotteries in the schools but until I saw the emotions on the children’s and parent’s faces it really never meant anything to me.  It brought tears to my eyes watching those little girls not get into the schools they wanted to go to.  Already studying to be a teacher, after watching this makes me want to become one even more; I want to make a difference.  I want to be the one teacher in the school that parents and students know I am there for them and that I am there to educate.  I’m not a parent but I do have sister’s that are primary school age and it worries me that my sisters come home and say that they watch videos (in Duval) or all they did was workbook pages and the teacher didn’t do much with them (in Clay).  I do not think that teachers are strict enough these days, if a class complains enough about what they are supposed to be doing the teacher will put off the work or make the assignment easier for the kids, I mainly am talking about high school with this comment.  Now that I am even more aware of everything in the school systems I know whenever I have children and they are school age I will consider my options very carefully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment