Monday, March 11, 2013

Journal-Dive

After watching the film Dive! in class last week I was educated on a lot more than what I thought dumpster diving was.  Honestly, I was ignorant to the subject of dumpster diving, when I hear dumpster diving I think of homeless jumping from dumpster to dumpster looking for food, that was not the case in the video.  There are people that go to different grocery stores after closing and collect all the left over, thrown out foods from the day.  They take what they can and it is usually a lot because the grocery stores will throw out anything soon to expire, such as the next day or if there’s one bad avocado in the bunch the whole shipment is thrown out.  But there are risks that come with it, getting sick, dealing with police officers, and not having enough room to store it all. I would personally never do this and I do not know anyone in my life that has had to. And if I did ever have to do this because of financial situations and if I had a child I would not subject them to this because it can be very dangerous, they can become ill from it and I see no point in having to put a child through it.  I would find another way to feed my child but that is just me, I understand in the video the child was never sick but everything’s a mystery and anything can happen.  The guy in the video has so much food at his house and stated that it was just rotting, so what is the point in taking all that food from the dumpster and bringing it to his  house… On the other hand I think bringing it to shelters and charities is a great idea and that if people are going to do this that it should be brought to shelters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment