Tuesday, March 5, 2013

American Dream


Turn It into Reality
                “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” (Walt Disney, Brainy Quotes) After listening to the speech given last week I began to think about my dreams and goals and continued to question, am I working as hard as possible to make my dreams become reality? The final conclusion to this question was no.  There are so many opportunities people pass up every day that can assist in pursuing their dreams. Reading through an article online it was shocking what little hope there is to land a dream job. In a survey of 8,000 people, “just less than 30 percent of people land their dream job or work in some related field.” (Quartz, Huff Post Business) Taking advantage of things such as community service, internships and other opportunities that pertain to your dreams can give you a great head start. Also, realizing and using the mistakes you have made and the obstacles you have overcome makes it easier for your dreams to come true. 
            First off, everyone makes mistakes and we either have to learn to live with them or we just try to ignore them. From previous experience I’ve found it is easier to live with mistakes made and take a lesson from them than just try to ignore it like nothing wrong has ever happened. Becoming a teacher has always been my biggest dream and my junior year I started really working towards this dream. I started in the Early Childhood Program at my high school and while there each time I made a mistake I taught myself how to correct the mistake. One time while in the program I let the children play instead of working on the lesson; I was suspended from teaching the kids for two days but on my day back I made sure the lesson that was supposed to be taught three days ago was taught and every child understood. At first I didn’t quite comprehend why I was in trouble for this but after reflecting on what I allowed I realized that even though the children are four they have plenty to learn and they also have time set aside for playing.  Another mistake I think I made but needed to make was last year during spring semester. For my field experience I wanted it to be easy and fun so I decided to spend my time in a local high school; I didn’t enjoy it at all and I couldn’t stand working with the older kids.  Lesson learned was for my dreams to succeed I cannot take the easy way out. 
            Another way is becoming involved within the community, schools, and businesses.  Starting off, being involved in college connects you with important, higher up people in your career choice. Working with more experienced people can help with recommendation letters for internships or even better, jobs or can lead to special opportunities. Multiple studies show that odds are an internship will land you a job. In the most recent years the percentage of people offered jobs after an internship has gone up; “In 2008 employers extended job offers to nearly 70 percent of their interns, up from 57 percent in 2001.” (Caswell, Statics Show Internships Lead to Success)  After working a while with the children during one of my field experiences I was invited to one of their fieldtrips by the day care director, I considered this a special opportunity. They also told me I may come back at any time just to interact and spend time with the children, which is not feedback every college student receives.  After receiving my AA I hope to land an internship at the elementary school right down the street from my house. It is a great school and if I was to do well then maybe I can land a job there after I finish college and earn my Bachelors degree and that would conclude my dream. But, I have a feeling that after the dream I have planned at the moment is reached it will not stop there and I will want to go for my Masters degree.
Courage and determination are two more important ingredients to fulfilling ones goals and dreams.  I will be the first one to admit that I lack courage seventy five percent of the time; I have a fear of failing and an even worse fear of people seeing me fail. Since courage has never been a strong suit of mine, the past few months my determination to work on this problem has risen.  I am not afraid to make a fool of myself anymore because I am determined to become an awesome teacher and if it means others seeing my downfalls and confusion, well it is what it is.
Basically if you are willing to work towards your dream to make it a reality you have a great chance of a positive outcome.  I know this is cliché’ but follow your heart and listen to your head as well, unless they disagree then listen to your heart it knows what will make you happy.  Working towards your dreams has many different components to make them come true. Working through mistakes and taking it for what is head on is just one small part, also becoming more involved to get ahead, and having enough courage and being determined are all things that can help out. 

5 comments:

  1. good work! i like the part about us having to deal with mistakes nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be a bright young lady and have a good head on your shoulders. Keep up the good work and continue living towards your dream. It will pay off in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I really enjoyed reading your essay. You are so right on so many different levels. I agree with you when you say "determination and courage are the two main ingredients". good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about your essay. It reminded me of my mother because the paper had a very positive, if you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything. You will fulfill your dreams, your outlook inspires me. Believing in yourself is the greatest gift of all. Great quote..“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I really enjoyed this, I agree with you in many areas of your paper. Good job

    ReplyDelete